“Anyone can articulate a complicated idea in a complicated way, but it takes genuine insight to reduce it to its simplest form without loss of meaning or the potential for subsequent elaboration.”
– Tony Veale
Given a free reign, how would you present and explain a complicated idea to someone else?
Would you describe it with words, pictures, models, interactions?
Here are 5 tips:
- Make sure you really do understand the idea yourself. Explore the idea with: Why, What, How, When, Where, Who type questions.
- Know your audience and use the language they use.
- Break down the elements of the idea.
- Identify the most appropriate medium (text, video, model, etc.) for each element.
- Build the elements into a story.